Saturday 18 August 2007

Thank Goodness for Peanut!


For the first feature I have chosen to showcase one of my favourite Brit Girls, the wonderful Peanut! Born Katherine Farthing in The Port of Spain, Trinidad she moved she moved to the UK in 1962 at the age of 11 along with her 7 brothers and sisters. After securing a contract with Pye Records she released 4 singles under the name Peanut, comprimising Thank Goodness for the Rain/I'm Not Sad, Home of the Brave/I Wanna Hear It Again, I'm
Waiting for the Day/Someone's Gonna Be
Sorry and I Didn't Love Him Anyway/Come Tommorow during the mid 60's.

4 of these were released as an EP in Japan (shown above and right), which I wish I had! Katie then released a few singles under her real name before joining the Rag Dolls with her brother Mac around 1967/68. However her biggest success came when she and her brother joined together in the duo Mac and Katie Kissoon and had chart hits with a cover of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (the definitive version in my opinion I think!) and also Sugar Coated Candy Kisses and Don't Do It Baby in 1975. Moving on to a career as a successful backing singer, she has worked with artists such as Elton John, George Harrison and Robbie Williams. Check out this clip of her closing with Eric Clapton with Wonderful Tonight!

Here I offer those first four singles! Hope you like them as much as I do! For me, she's great for so many reasons, one of them being the way she pronounces the word 'tear' on Thank Goodness for the Rain. However the emotive tenacity evoked by her voice resembles a certain Shangri-La, which is great of course! Also producing he best cover of a Beach Boys song....ever...dosn't go amiss! This may or may not be due to the fact with working with genius producer Mark Wirtz (great guy!) but I'll let you decide! ^___^

8 comments:

JamesChanceOfficial said...

Fantastic...thank you for sharing!

Tim

Anonymous said...

yeeah! thanks!

cinnamonK said...

Hey! Thanks for the comments! ^__^ Peanut really is a girl that deserves much more recognition!

zrosemarie said...

Find out what Mark Wirtz is doing now http://www.markwirtz.com and read his new comedy blog

Norn Cutson said...

i am *WILD* about Peanut!

all i have is THANK GOODNESS FOR THE RAIN, which breaks my heart & fills me with joy!
how can i find these other songs?

Norn Cutson said...

such exuberance!
such FEELING!!!

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sixties-Chick said...

Can you please send it to swinging60ies@aol.com?? Thanks a million!